Saturday, July 19, 2008

Peace like a River








Sometimes this yearning starts up in the summer. A yearning for the south, where I grew up. A yearning  for the marsh outside of Charleston where my brother and my friend Happy Erwin and I spent hours wandering shirtless and barefoot. Sinking in the marsh mud. Talking in hushed tones about how the crabs would eat you if you sank too deep. Eat out your eyeballs. We slapped at mosquitoes and watched the pelicans lope across the sky. I loved the cabbage stink smell of the mud at low tide and walking up to the 7/eleven, covered in mud and bites, to get an icee. Past the graveyard and the haunted house. It seemed in every moment there was magic. It dripped down from the moss and rose out of the marsh. Sometimes our mother took us out to the Angel Oak on John’s Island. That tree is 1300 years old, her branches long as octopus tentacles reaching up to heaven and snaking yards and yards along the ground. if you sat under that old tree and listened real close you could hear the angels sing.

Here, in the northeast, on the farm, it sure gets as hot as any southern summer, but the marsh is fresh water. Fed by a river instead of the ocean. There is magic here too, but to my untrained eye, sometimes it’s harder to find. You have to search. So, the other day, because I was homesick and in search of memory I went down to the river to play.

The air was cool. Gusts of gadflies skimmed the smooth surface. I let my memories of the south get all tangled up in this yankee river and all the old spirituals I used to know rose to the surface… Just when I thought my soul was lost, I heard the angels singing. O sisters lets go down let’s go down come on down o sisters lets go down down to the river and pray…I’ve got peace like a river in my soul I’ve got a river in my soul…

I ran those songs all together as the sun fell down the sky. I sang loud and splashed around and took the pictures. Off in the distance my husband mowed hay, his tractor rattling across the field.

Here are the pictures that came.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iva...

Oh my God. Each new post on your blog takes me into the heart of an amazing world and transports me back to the secret history of that place and to what is underneath.

The ghosts and the spirituals and the songlines - somehow all connected.

I think that must be why you love it so much here (Hawaii) and in Bermuda. The past - the culture that is buried beneath what we can see in what is left - somehow reveals itself to you. The voices speak to you and then you manage to capture the essence of the imagine and share it, so beautifully, with us. Through masks and pinholes and shadows. And of course, the story.

I have been in the old south, ancient Peru, Herondale Farm in glorious spring, the underbelly of New York City, the fairy dance of New York City, Bermuda (hundreds of years ago in Ardsheal), riding on the wind in New Mexico - just through this blog.

Thank you!!

I look forward to the next place you'll take us...

XO
B-

Anonymous said...

Iva,

One other thought I want to add...

(Oh, and in the first post I meant to say the essence of the "image" - not the "imagine.")

Your blog made me remember the head in the window - all those years ago in Boston. Just the back of a head, but a whole invented life. Our secret. Maybe it's always been what is unknown - but imagined - on the other side. Life and death. Trees and roots. Masks and what is hidden beneath them. People you can see through...

All this is coming up as I go through my day with your blog spinning in my head.

Thank you for bringing it back.

XO
B-

Unknown said...

oh my, the head in the window!! beth, that is a blog post in its own right!
remember when we saw the head in the window, attached to the man, walking towards us? we screamed like fools. the poor man looked so startled!! :) thank you for all your comments. they inspire me!!
xxx

Anonymous said...

Nice post Iva, thank you.