Monday, April 14, 2008

Holding Tammi in the light


So still Holding Tammi in the light and taking my friend Lee's advice to help bring the light by staying there myself. Well, that's not exactly what he said but how I'm taking it.

For me one of the greatest pleasures in life is wandering over the land with my battered pinhole camera and a dog or two at my heels. This image was taken on our farm in upstate new york last july around 5:30 am. I was busy watching nature, in full wonder at the silence, the feeling that no body was there except me and the quiet burbling brook and the birds swooping slowly over the swamp grass. Suddenly I felt eyes on me. hmm. who would be out there with me in the swamp so early in the morning? I couldn't see any other human. I wondered if I should feel nervous and then through the grass, about a hundred yards away I saw them. Three young deer, watching me intently. They didn't seem afraid. They didn't run when I loaded film into my camera. They just peered at me calmly and I imagined they were wondering what this strange human was doing so early in the day. They were just out of range for me to capture them watching me on film. But it didn't matter. It wasn't meant to be recorded that way I suppose.

And so I learned that while I thought I was watching nature. Nature was watching me. Or well, we are all one, part of the same great plan. And even without a physical image I revisit the moment and try and begin all days with that feeling.

Tammi, I hope these thoughts can reach you!!


xx
Iva

No comments: